OMEC Teleport from Orange Amplification

Awesome little pedal from Orange. It looks so simple and basic but actually does so much.

OMEC-Teleport-1-1030x1030

Great review by Mary Spender.

Read more:

https://orangeamps.com/omec-teleport/

*photo from Orange

 

Advertisements

Alvarez AU70C Setup & Pickup Installation

Worked on this uke last month.

IMG_8306

The AU70C belongs to the missus and it’s been sitting there for some time. I figured it’s time to install the last few pickups I have and do a setup too.

IMG_8309.JPG

It’s a pretty well-made uke with a solid spruce top and laminate rosewood b/s, and really aesthetically pleasing with the satin finish, abalone rosette and herringbone binding on the body.

IMG_8310

Lowering nut height

The strings at nut tend to sit a lil’ high so I guess it’s better to sand down the nut instead of filing each slot individually. I used a flat chip board and gently knocked off the nut.

IMG_8312

Warning: Be very gentle or you risk breaking off the headstock. Most nuts should have some glue to hold it in place and it may also be a good idea to heat up the area before removal.

IMG_8313

Sanding nut and saddle

So we got both the nut and saddle ready to be filed down.

IMG_8315

Just a tiny wad of glue will do.

img_8319.jpg

And we have the nut nicely glued in.

img_8320.jpg

I took the time to give the fretboard and frets some TLC. Ax Wax and steel wool perform their magic with Bowie overseeing the work.

IMG_8314

Installing JJB 110 pickup

Drilling for the end jack

We need a 12mm hole at the base. Always tape up to prevent cracks on the finish. The exact point to drill was located using a simple caliper and ruler.

I work from 3mm – 5mm – 8mm – 10mm and finally 12mm. This is actually faster than using a step bit. We’ll clean up the wood dust later.

OK, we got a nice 12mm hole.

Some filing is needed to smooth out the insides which will have some splinters. I use a cheap small file for this.

The trusted copper wire is inserted from the end…

Then it exits via the sound hole for me to attach the endjack…

And finally I “fish” it back out at the bottom end.

Screw in the end pin and it’s done.

Since there’s only one transducer to be glued, it’s a fairly easy job. But try to glue the single transducer as near as the centre of the bridge plate.

Restrung with Aquila Nylguts

Tune up, and we’re good to go. 🙂 Bowie had been the sole assistant for this project.

Let’s see when this will get a chance to be played plugged-in.